Feb 11, 2011

Battle of the Bigs....Chapter 1

Dump here breaking down Saturday night's Fedor vs Silva card.Here we go. As Saturday night inches closer we get to sit and debate another weekend of fights. Not only are we getting to see the first round of the Heavyweight Grand Prix, we get a night of only heavyweights. This card has the potential of being the quickest outing. Nothing about the last several Strikeforce cards has been disappointing. It seems every fight gets finished. That being said when you put us big guys in the spotlight be ready to stay glued to the fights. I don't think they will last long. So here is how I see this playing out:


  • Valentijn "Python" Overeem vs Ray "Sugarfoot"Sefo
Overeem is 28-23. 51 fights to his name. He has beaten Randy Couture but has lost to Gilbert Yvel. This guy has knockout power in his pinky but he is aging. He's not old, just aging. This is his first fight in Strikeforce and he gets a baby fighter. I say baby fighter, Sefo has 2 fights to his name at age 39. He's no Herschel Walker and this won't play well for him. Overeem wins this fast. KO in the first 2 minutes.

  • Chad "Grave Digger" Griggs vs Gianpiero Vilante
Do you remember Griggs? He is the guy who pumped the brakes on Bobby Lashley's MMA path to superstardom. HE's taking on another Strikeforce newcomer in VIllante. Villante's only loss came when he had his arm broke in a light heavyweight bout. This is hard but I say Villante wins. Probably 2nd round.

  • Lavar "Big" Johnson vs Shane Del Rosario
A couple Strikeforce Challengers pros mixing it up to move towards the top of the Heavyweight ladder. Shane is undefeated and young. Johnson has only  3 losses and 8 more fights to his name. Both guys are tough. I put my money on Shane Del Rosario knocking out Big Johnson in the 2nd round.

  • Andrei Arlovski vs Sergei Kharitonov
Arlovski comes into this fight dropping 3 of his last 4. We know he his tough but we also know he can be beaten. Sergei is a mixed bag. He's fought some top notch guys, but no wins against them. Jeff Monson beat him in the Dream Welterweight Grand Prix. My gut tells me The Pitbull comes out of his slump and sends the Russian packing.

******Strikeforce and M-1 Global present Fedor Emelianeko vs Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva******

I don't like this fight. Why? I don't like Fedor. I respect what he has done historically but come on. It's like being league MVP in the minor leagues. For all his work he will never in my book go down in the books as a top notch Heavyweight. He's good no doubt but he hasn't put in the work nor has he fought the guys that he should have to cement a legacy of greatness. After this is tournament, win or lose, my bet is you have seen the final act of "The Last Emperor" Oh yeah, he'll win this fight.

There you have it folks. I call them as I see them. I am sure Dave will have something to say about my predictions, he always does.  Check us out on Twitter Saturday night and back in the blog after the fights to break it down. 


5 comments:

  1. Coker said he has identified eight to 10 commissions, including Missouri, Georgia, Texas and Oklahoma, that would license Barnett presuming he can pass a urinalysis test for performance-enhancing drugs -- something he has failed to do three times in the past, most recently in California in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Barnett will get to fight. I was wondering if thats why they are eyeing Japan? WHo knows though because your right...he has to pass the urine test. May want to invest in a Whizzanator

    ReplyDelete
  3. DAVE HERE: Well Dump, I am not going to lie I am an old PRIDE fan, it was new UFC at the time was trying to get built up and had lost a lot of fighters to the PRIDE organization. But to say that Fedor has never fought anyone is crazy. Fedor has beat at least 4 former UFC champions like Mark Coleman, Andrei Arvolski, Tim Sylvia, Josh Barnett, and a number of past and present UFC fighters. Now I am willing to admit that I don’t know if his reign would have been as long in the UFC as it was in PRIDE and M1 or whoever it is he fights for. But I definitely think he will go down in history as one of the greatest Champions ever pound for pound. I would have loved to have seen him fight some of the UFC heavyweights now but we know that won’t happen so we will never truly know will we. And by the way I don’t know if he has enough left to win this StrikeForce tourney but it will be fun to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave you are reaching. He fought guys that washed out of the UFC and has never fought Barnett. They were gonna do it but Barnett tested positive for banned substance which ended AFfliction. Arlovski, Sylvia, Coleman had all been released from UFC when he fought them. Kevin Randleman, Heath Herring..Sobral..are these the guys you really want to chalk up as quality wins? Lets not kid ourselves, he is a good fighter but would not carry nearly as good a record if he was to have tried his hand in the UFC. Even if he wins the tournament its like winning a 3rd place in a 4 man race. Means nothing. Keep thinking those silly thoughts...your making me look smart! Dumpdaddy

    ReplyDelete
  5. My bad on Fedor, Barnett. Barnett fought Fedor's brother in pride. But Fedor also fought Crocop and Big Nog who I know you cant say nothing bad about dang it everybody likes the Nogueria brothers. But I have said this before I also dont think he would have been as good in the UFC as he was in Pride but he would have still been a top fighter.

    ReplyDelete

Combat Inc.

Combat Inc.