Jun 6, 2011

Absolute Action MMA XIV Recap

What a night at Heritage Hall in Lexington, KY. Absolute Action MMA XIV was one for the scrapbooks. A small disclaimer here. I do not work for any of these companies. I am opinionated. If you just want the results check out our event results article. If you want to hear my thoughts by all means continue reading.




To start off I want to thank the athletes who gave it their all for this show. These were some of the best fights I have seen this year. A whole lot of heart was on display from top to bottom. Billy Donovan did an excellent job setting this card up and the fighters delivered. The crowd was loud at times and ready for more. I feel like there were a lot of people who missed out on seeing a top tier event by not making it to the show. Those in attendance were treated to one hell of a show. A great production all around from the guys that are trying to promote not just themselves but these competitors in the state of Kentucky


My awards for this show were very hard to pick. Several submissions were top notch. Several fights were cream of the crop anywhere in the state. I tried to be fair and thought long and hard. So here is what I have decided.





Knockout Of The Night - This was brutal. Sitting cage side you get to experience a little more than the average fan. When I heard this shot to the face it gave me chills. In a mere 00:16 seconds Brandon Scott defeats Roi Mayes with a monster knee to the head. Mayes was dripping blood from his nose but looked to be fine. 


Submission Of The Night - There were a couple honorable mentions I feel you must know about. Matthew McDaniel had one of the sickest rear naked chokes I've seen. I am happy to see him get a victory. Zachary Sanders made Doug Ballinger tap out after some fireworks to start the fight. What sticks out in my mind though is the arm bar of Evva Johnson. I give credit to Sarah Cook. Cook is tough as nails. Johnson kept at the arm until finally Sarah had to tap. Both women deserve lots of credit. Both are champions and being a female champion for Absolute Action MMA means a great deal in my book,

Fight of The Night - One of the most memorable scenes of AAMMA XIV was seeing Troy Blevins being carried to his corner after the 2nd round. I have no idea how he managed to come back and fight another 3 minutes. He did. Ryan Debelak avenged his decision loss to Blevins with a decision victory. Great job by both men. Not my fight of the night however.

When you see a guy such as Blevins pouring out his blood, sweat and tears it really makes you appreciate what these athletes do. One of the best fights of the year in my book featured Kendale Young and Billy Eversole. This was a war. Young was relentless with his slams and take downs. Eversole not once backed away. Plenty of action in this fight from the opening bell. Todd Neal of the Kentucky Boxing and Wrestling Authority told Eversole during a brief stoppage " Throw up or fight". He didn't puke and brought plenty of fight. I look forward to seeing these guys in the future.

There you have it. It is very similar to letting the judge decide the fight. You never know what they see. That is my take on picking fight of the night. It is what I remember most. All of these fighters deserve credit. There was some drama and trash talk mixed in with disrespect and possibly some fear. Overall this was a great event in a great venue.  We appreciate the opportunity to sit cage side and witness all the great action. Dr. Patel and Billy Donovan are truly two of the "good guys" in Kentucky MMA.



Absolute Action MMA -XV comes to you June 18th back at the confines of the Midwest Sports Complex in Florence. This will mark the broadcast debut on Wazoo Sports. Should be another great show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Combat Inc.

Combat Inc.