Mar 18, 2011

Dump's UFC 128 Predictions

Its Friday morning and after 1 day I am almost sick of watching basketball. I am however looking forward to tomorrow night's big PPV from Newark, NJ. This is shaping up to be a good card but nothing over the top and exciting.  Here is a quick rundown of my predictions for the fights available on Facebook, Spike and the main card on PPV.

Kurt Pelligrino vs Gibson Tibau - Should be a good fight. Both fighters are takedown artists and are not known for their standup. Calling this one in favor of Pelligrino. Don't know how people will be able to play Cityville and such with this happening on Facebook

Ricardo Almeida vs Mike Pyle - Anyone remember what Matt Hughes did to this guy? Pyle is no Hughes but I give him the nod.

Edson Barboza vs Anthony Njokuani - Barboza looked good in his UFC debut. Both fighters have a strong background in kickboxing. Should be some excitement. Giving this one to Barboza. Even gonna call this via submission.

Luiz Cane vs Eliot Marshall - Nothing special here guys. Both stand up bangers. If they decide to swing away it shouldn't last too long. The 205lb fellas will have to work hard to be the light heavyweight fight of the night. Cane comes out on top in this one.

Mirko Cro Cop vs Brendan Schaub- This fight could go either way. They key will be Cro Cop. He is emotionless and has been in his fair share of wars. Schaub is an up and comer and has an advantage of about 20 pounds on Cro Cop. I want Cro Cop to have a good fight and win but I think Schaub shines. Schaub by TKO

Nate Marquardt vs Dan Miller - Having watched Nate "The Great" squander his chance at a title shot and seeing as how Miller has won a couple of his last fights I think Miller comes away with the win.

Jim Miller vs Kamal Shalorus - Why not make it a Mille sweet of the night. This one goes to the 155lb Miller.

Urijah Faber vs Eddie Wineland - The California Kid is far away from his comfort zone and has to feel the pressure of making his prime time UFC debut. Wineland is a former WEC champ and has big hands. This is a toss up in my book. Why not...I'm calling this Faber vis submission and maybe he gets submission of the night!

MAIN EVENT - Light Heavyweight Championship

Jon " Bones" Jones challenges Mauricio "Shogun" Rua for the title. I watched Bones dismantle Bader. I have seen Bones do big things and be bigger than he is in nearly all of his fights. I am not in the least bit impressed with Shogun's career in the UFC and how he got a title fight I'll never know. Even with just a short training camp Jones will dominate this fight and walk away with the belt and a fight of the night performance. Write it down (oh wait I just did)

I wouldn't take these predictions to your bookie and expect a huge payday. This should be a good card and by late Saturday night or early Sunday morning I expect we will have a new champ!

5 comments:

  1. Dave here:
    Dump, Dump, Dump, I see you are still sticking with Jones over Rua, I think everyone knows now that you dont like any of the x PRIDE champions. But I think you shouldnt count Rua out of this fight espically since Jones has been signing autographs as Champion Jon Jones, Jones I think had the upper hand until he pissed Shogun off before this happened Shogun was just defending his title now he is fighting to make Jones earn his respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave once again I must remind you that on a good day the best of the Pride fighters can't hang with the modern UFC. Take a look at the champs when Pride was bought out. Fedor - we have seen how that has worked out for him. Bigfoot Silva beats the brakes off his face. LIghtweight champ Taka-Idontgiveashit Gomi. I shouldn't have to say anything about him. I'll give Hendo a little credit but he laid an egg against Jake Shields.

    You are completely right though. I don't have any respect for Shogun. He doesn't even deserve to be in this spot. He beat a down and out Mark Coleman and Chuck Liddell and fought in 2 of the worst title fights I have ever seen against Machida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In disbelief you've sided with Luiz Cane. The chap has been the biggest flash in the pan to ever compete in the UFC. A few wins against guys like Sokoduju and he had a lot of fans behind him. He's dropped his last two to below average UFC fighters and I predict the Fire Marshall to outbox him, and out wrestle him on his way to a UD. Also predict Edson Barboza vs Anthony Njokuani will be fight of the night. Hope it does not disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hands up, I got that one horribly, horribly wrong. But at lease I predicted FOTN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fergus you did pick FOTN. Hats off on that. This was a pretty decent card with a memorable main event. Let the Bones era begin. You still digging those Pride fighter Davey?? Be sure to let me know how thats working out for you. Time to realize its the 011 baby...out with the old and in with the new!

    ReplyDelete

Combat Inc.

Combat Inc.