Jun 26, 2011

My Take and Predictions For UFC on Versus 4


Believe it or not last night there was not a fight for me to be at, no work to be done and I enjoyed a night with friends & family. Its good from time to time to get a break. I wonder if the UFC thinks about those kinds of things. Any chance to watch UFC is great but with the roster of fighters Zuffa has cards like UFC on Versus 4 is just not neccesary. That is no disrespect for any of the fighters on the card. I enjoy watching Matt Mitrione fight. When Joe "Daddy" Stevenson was in his prime there was not a more exciting guy. However the lineup for this show could have easily been scattered through the next 2 or 3 bigger events. I feel like this is just an excuse for the UFC to make some money and put on some mediocre fights. If they are using these shows as building blocks for guys or a last chance win or go home stage for others I see it as a bad move. That's just my own opinion because lets face it, the UFC puts on some duds for shows from time to time. It happens. With Nate Marquardt out and fired from the organization the main event is now Pat Barry and Cheick Kongo. Decent fighters in their own right. Barry seems to be a nice guy and Kongo has the threat of  being a good fighter but really? Rick Story was robbed of a shining moment, the only moment I was looking forward to on this card. I will probably still watch and honestly will still enjoy a couple of the fights but I am just not excited about the event in general. Who will win? Well here are my thoughts.






Joe Stevenson vs. Javier Vazquez -  This could be a drawn out three round battle or a three round bore. I have to go with Stevenson in this one. I see him winning by submission but not until the third round.

Tyson Griffin vs. Manvel Gamburyan- Tyson Grffiin went 7-2 to start his UFC career with some impressive wins. However he made Takanori Gomi look like a hall of fame candidate and we know how Gomi fared in his other fights in the UFC. Riding a 3 fights losing streak Griffin will need a win to keep his roster spot.Manny is coming off a loss to Jose Also in a title shot. He is pretty damn good. Manny gets this win by knockout.

Matt Mitrione vs. Christian Morecraft- Easy call here. Mitrione gets better with each outing. Morecraft doesn't impress me much and neither does this match up. Matt Mitrione by KO.

Matt Brown vs. John Howard- This is a loser leaves town match. Both guys desperately need a win to stay in the UFC. Both are hungry for a win. That should equal fireworks. Lets face it though, should they even be in a position to fill a spot on the card?  I am taking Brown in this one and is will just prolong the inevitable. Both guys will find a home in smaller promotions and do good.

Pat Barry vs. Cheick Kongo-  I don't like how Kongo fights. He is a stall guy and trys to slow things down when the pressure is on. Barry needs quite a bit of improvement to ever be a main event caliber fighter again. He just got lucky. He will win though, Barry takes this by decision.

Rick Story vs Charlie Brenneman- I hate this for Story. Here was his shot at the main event. After an impressive win over Thiago Alves he was primed for a run. I am scared of this match up. Brenneman taking this fight on short notice with nothing to lose and everything to gain. I still like Story. Just don't know how he will win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Combat Inc.

Combat Inc.